EuroEducation's Guide to Art, Culture, History and Science
Book a Hostel / Hotel
Guide to Museums in:
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
The Hunt Museum is a museum in the city of Limerick. Holding a personal collection donated by the Hunt family, it was originally situated in the University of Limerick, before being moved to its present location in 1997. It can now be visited in the old custom house, an historic 18th century building by the River Shannon in Rutland Street, in central Limerick. The Hunt Museum holds about 2000 different artifacts, both from Ireland and abroad. The oldest pieces are from stone-age Ireland and ancient Egypt. The collection includes the Antrim Cross (a 9th century bronze and enamel cross), a small sketch by Picasso and a bronze horse from a design by Leonardo da Vinci for a large monument.
For general enquiries please contact The Hunt Museum, Rutland Street, Limerick, Ireland, Tel: +353 61 312833, E-mail:
Hunt Museum in Limerick
King John's Castle (Limerick)
King John's Castle is a castle located on King's Island in Limerick, next to the River Shannon. The walls, towers and fortifications remain today, and are a visitor attraction. The remains of a Viking settlement were uncovered during the construction of a visitor centre at the site. The walls of the castle were severely damaged in the Siege of Limerick 1642, the first of five sieges of the city in the 17th century. The interpretative centre at the Castle contains an imaginative historical exhibition which tells the story of the Castle. Archaeological excavations have revealed Pre Norman settlements and evidence from the traumatic siege of 1642. The courtyard and the Castle display some of the trades and traditions of the 16th Century. The Castle offers panoramic views of Limerick city and the surrounding countryside.
For more information and enquirieries please contact King’s Island, Nicholas Street, Limerick City, Co. Limerick, Ireland, Tel: +353 (0)61 360-788, E-mail:
Limerick Castle, view from the River Shannon
Lough Gur is a lake in County Limerick. It is located between the towns of Herbertstown and Bruff. The lake forms a horseshoe shape at the base of Knockadoon Hill. It is one of Ireland's most important archaeological sites. Humans have lived near Lough Gur since about 3000 BC and there are numerous megalithic remains. Grange stone circle (the largest stone circle in Ireland) and a dolmen are located near the lake. The remains of at least three crannogs are present, and remains of Stone Age houses have been unearthed (the house outlines are known as "The Spectacles"). A number of ring forts are found in the area, with one hill fort overlooking the lake. Some are Irish national monuments. A visitors' centre is open beside Lough Gur, along with a car park and picnic area. Bourchier's Castle and tower house is located near the entrance.
For more information and enquiries please contact Roseanne Dunne, Lough Gur, Co. Limerick, Tel: 061 385386, E-mail:
EuroEducation Net 1995 - 2021
Privacy & Cookies