EuroEducation's Guide to Art, Culture, History and Science
Book a Hostel / Hotel
Guide to Museums in:
Greek Orthodox Church and Museum
The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church and its Liturgical Museum can be found in the Downtown of Miskolc (7 Deák square). The church was built between 1785 and 1806 in Zopf style. Its furniture is also in Zopf style, from the late 18th century. It is a listed historic monument. The church houses one the largest iconostases in Europe. The Baroque iconostasis was carved in the workshop of Miklós Jankovits of Eger, the pictures (with the exception of four of them) were painted by Anton Kuchelmeister of Vienna. The painting Black Mary of Kazan was a gift from Empress Catherine II of Russia. The Orthodox Liturgical Museum of Hungary houses the richest Orthodox liturgical collection of Hungary. Its permanent exhibition shows the history and arts of the Orthodox Church and schools. The first room resembles a chapel, recalling the atmosphere of Greek chapels where believers worshiped before large Baroque churches were built. In the second room visitors can see goldsmith's work and liturgical clothes, while in the third room the icon collection is exhibited.
For more information and enquiries please contact Greek Orthodox Church and Museum, 3525 Miskolc, Deák tér 7, Tel: 46/415-441, 46/345-892
Iconostasis in the Greek Orthodox Church
Waxworks museum of the Castle of Diósgyőr
The waxworks museum of the Castle of Diósgyőr is a waxworks museum, one of the largest ones in Central Europe. It is situated in the northeastern tower of the Castle of Diósgyőr, in Miskolc-Diósgyőr, Hungary. Most of the wax figures can be seen in the rondella of the tower, in six scenes: Everyday life in mediaeval Diósgyőr with ten wax figures, Knights' tournament with ten wax figures, Mediaeval fair with fourteen wax figures, George Magyar in hell, King Louis grants a coat of arms to Kassa and The court of Louis the Great. Besides the waxworks museum in the rondella, there is a smaller waxworks scene on the 2nd floor of the northeastern tower, commemorating the peace treaty of Turin (1381). On the first floor of the tower a museum commemorates the Pauline monastery of Diósgyőr. It features the life-size wax figure of a Pauline monk.
For more information and enquiries please contact The Castle Of Diósgyőr, 3534 Miskolc, Vár u. 24, Hungary, Tel: 36/46/533-355, E-mail:
Ottó Herman Museum
The Ottó Herman Museum is the largest museum of Miskolc, Hungary. It has more than 600,000 artifacts. Its main focus is on archaeology, mineralogy, arts, history and ethnography. From 1963 it collects artifacts not only from Miskolc and Borsod, but from the whole unified Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county. The museum has several buildings both in Miskolc and in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county. The one near Erzsébet square in Miskolc is the oldest, it hosts the mineral collection. The main building on Görgey street was built in 1952, the arts museum, the library, the storerooms are there.
For more information and enquiries please contact Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, County Museum Board of Directors, H-3529 Miskolc, Görgey Arthur Street 28, Tel: (+36) 46/560-170, E-mail:
Central Building of the Ottó Herman Múzeum
EuroEducation Net 1995 - 2019
Privacy & Cookies