The Roman-Germanic Museum
The Roman-Germanic Museum is an important archaeological museum in Cologne, Germany. It has a large collection of Roman artifacts from the Roman settlement Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium, on which modern Cologne is built. The museum protects the original place of a Roman town villa, of which the large Dionysus Mosaic remains in its original place in the basement now, and the related Roman Road just outside. In this respect the museum is an archaeological site.
The museum also is the institution to preserve the Cologne Roman cultural heritage, and therefore preserves wonderful Roman glass from Roman funerals and burial. This archaeological function also includes the supervision of the Cologne underground, which is now under construction.
Most of the museum's collection was formerly housed at the Wallraf-Richartz Museum in Cologne until 1946. In the front of the museum the former northern town gate of Cologne with the inscription CCAA (for Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium) is shown.
For more information and enquiries please contact Römisch-Germanisches Museum,
Roncalliplatz 4, D-50667 Cologne, Tel.: +49 - 221 - 221 - 22304,
The front entrance to the Romano-Germanic Museum
The Wallraf-Richartz Museum is one of the three major museums in Cologne, Germany. It houses an art gallery with a collection of fine art from the medieval period to the early twentieth century. Part of its collection was used for the establishment of Museum Ludwig in 1976. The Madonna in the Rose Bower, is among one of the most famouse of the Gothic paintings in the collection of the Wallraf-Richartz Museum. Among other works from the Early Renaissance in the collection is Adoration of the Child (Bosch) by Hieronymous Bosch. The museum also exhinits five authentic Monet paintings.
For more information please contact Wallraf-Richartz-Museum and Fondation Corboud,
Obenmarspforten (am Kölner Rathaus),
D- 50667 Köln,
Tel: +49 (0) 221 221-21119, E-mail: email@example.com
The Wallraf-Richartz Museum from above
The Farina fragrance museum is situated across from the town-hall, and near the famous Wallraf-Richartz-Museum in the Obenmarspforten street in Cologne. Founded in 1709, John Maria Farina opposite the Jülichs Place is the eldest fragrance factory still standing and has house the registered office since 1723. The museum provides over several floors a very detailed insight into the production methods of perfume throughout the various stages. The focus is primarily laid on Eau de Cologne, and you will therefore discover some particular technical devices such as distillation apparatus which were once used. In addition to the equipment, you will also be able to witness the evolution thanks to various pictures and documents which help trace back history. Further details as to the changes in the manufacturing of Farina Eau de Cologne are also on display.
For more information and enquiries please contact Farina-Haus, Obenmarspforten 21,
50667 Köln, Cologne, Tel: +49 221-399 89 94,
Fragrance museum, Cologne, Germany